Pistachio, Pear, and Goat Cheese Hand Pies
Makes 4 hand pies
These vegetarian pockets of savory goodness are hearty, flavorful, and flaky. Perfect for an easy work day lunch, or pack them up and hit the road!This hand pie features our flavorful Roasted Pistachio Oil and the filling recipe makes enough for four hand pies. We have two more exciting vegetarian filling recipes using our Pumpkin Seed Oil and Infused Truffle Oil for the most spectacular trio of hand pies. Those recipes are Truffle, Leak and Potato Hand Pies and Pumpkin Squash, Cranberry and Kale Hand Pies. Or, if you want to just make a dozen of these Pistachio, Pear and Goat Cheese Hand Pies (who could blame you?) triple the filling quantities to make 12.
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups chilled unsalted butter, cubed
- 6 Tbsp ice water
- *One egg (whisked) or almond milk used as egg wash before baking
- 1/4 red onion
- 1/2 pear, cored and chopped into small/medium cubes
- 2 Tbsp pistachios, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup goat cheese crumbles
- 1 Tbsp La Tourangelle Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt and pepper
- La Tourangelle Roasted Pistachio Oil (to drizzle)
For the crust (makes 12 hand pies)
For the filling (makes 4 hand pies):
For the crust
- In a food processor, pulse together flour, sugar, and salt. Add cubed butter and pulse until slightly crumbly. Add ice water one tablespoon at a time and pulse in-between until dough starts to form. Separate dough into three equal parts, and form into round disks. Cover each disk and refrigerate for an hour.
For the filling
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees.
- Slice red onion into thin strips and sauté in a small sauce pan with olive oil, and a pinch of salt and pepper until nice and caramelized. Set aside in a small bowl.
- Add the pear, pistachios, and goat cheese to the onions and stir to combine. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Taking one of the chilled disks of dough from the fridge, cut the round into fourths. On a lightly floured surface, roll each of the quarters of dough into approximately 1/8" thick rounds. Divide filling between each round. Top with a drizzle of La Tourangelle Roasted Pistachio Oil (about a 1/2 tsp. each).
- Fold one half of each round to conceal filling, creating a half moon. Pinch the open ends of the dough together and place on a lined baking sheet. Brush your pies with egg wash or almond milk. Slice three small vents on top of each pie. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until crusts are golden brown.