2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoons baking soda
3/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
3 large eggs
1 cup full-fat sour cream
1 cup whole buttermilk
1 tablespoon almond extract
*optional: sliced almonds, for garnish
For caramel icing:
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon almond extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Generously spray a 10-cup bundt cake pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- In another large bowl, combine eggs, sour cream, buttermilk, oil, and extract. Whisk mixture together until fully combined.
- Add wet ingredients into flour mixture. Stir mixture together until just combined and all dry ingredients dissolve.
- Pour cake batter into prepared bundt cake pan. Bake cake for 45 minutes or until toothpick inserted into cake comes out clean.
- Allow cake to cool in bundt cake pan for at least 10-15 minutes. Then invert cake onto a wire rack to continue cooling completely.
- In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, combine butter, brown sugar, heavy cream, and salt together. Cook mixture and allow to come up to a slight boil, about 6-7 minutes. Be sure to stir mixture throughout.
- Then remove from heat and stir in extract, mixture will vigorously bubble.
- Let mixture cool for 3-5 minutes before pouring over finished cake.