Apricot BBQ Chicken Legs With Roasted Walnut OilShare Pin It Print This Recipe
Step up your grilled drumsticks with this sweet and savory barbecue sauce. Apricot jam serves as a base for this new twist on summer basting and finishes with a delightful drizzle of Roasted Walnut Oil.
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 small shallot
- 1/2 cup apricot jam
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 5 or 6 chicken drumsticks (feel free to use thighs, wings, breasts or even an entire chicken– the sauce should cover about 1.5 – 2 pounds of chicken)
- 2 Tablespoons Walnut Oil
- Peel and roughly chop the garlic and shallot and put it in a blender with the apricot jam, vinegar and cayenne. Blend until smooth, scraping down the sides as needed. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat grill. Rinse chicken legs and pat dry with a paper towel. Season on all sides with salt and pepper.
- Once the grill is hot put the chicken on and sear one side, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Turn the drumsticks over and coat the grill marked side with the BBQ sauce using a spoon or pastry brush. Once the second side is seared, turn the drumsticks over and repeat the process coating the second side. Continue to turn and coat the meat every 5 to7 minutes until the internal temperature of the meat reaches 165ºF.
- Transfer the meat to a serving dish, drizzle with Walnut Oil and serve immediately.
NOTE: This recipe also works well in the oven. Preheat oven to 400ºF. Rinse chicken legs and pat dry with a paper towel. Season on all sides with salt and pepper. Coat all sides with BBQ sauce and transfer to a foil or parchment lined baking dish for easy clean up. Roast in the oven until cooked through, about 35 to 40 minutes, turning and coating the meat every 5 to 7 minutes until the internal temperature of the meat reaches 165ºF. Drizzle with Walnut Oil and serve immediately.
(recipe courtesy of Chef Anne Goffin)