Banana Cupcakes with Brown Butter FrostingShare Pin It Print This Recipe
Brown butter, or beurre noisette, is butter that has been cooked until it turns golden brown and has a nutty aroma. Using a light-colored pan to brown the butter makes it easier to see when it has taken on the perfect color.
2 large eggs at room temperature
1 1/4 cups coarsely mashed banana (about 3)
1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/2 cup La Tourangelle walnut oil
2 tablespoons cup sour cream, yogurt, or buttermilk
1 teaspoons vanilla
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped
4 tablespoons butter
1 8 ounce block cream cheese, at room temperature
1/2 cup confectioners sugar, sifted
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a standard 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, banana, sugars, oil, sour cream, and vanilla until combined. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and fold to combine. Fold in the walnuts.
- Divide the batter evenly between the prepared cups. Bake until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with moist crumbs attached, about 24 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the frosting. Melt the butter in a light-bottomed skillet over medium-high heat. Cook until the milk solids turn deep golden brown, 6 to 8 minutes, swirling the pan occasionally. Immediately transfer the butter to a large bowl too cool.
- Let cupcakes cook in the pan for 5 minutes. Then transfer to a rack to cool completely.
- To finish the frosting, add the cream cheese to the butter and beat with an electric mixer on medium until fluffy and smooth. Add the confectioners’ sugar, vanilla, and salt and beat to combine. If frosting is too soft to spread you can refrigerate it for a few minutes to firm it up.
- Spread a few tablespoons of frosting on each cupcake to serve.
Recipe by Samantha Seneviratne for Food 52