Beet Salad with Watercress and Fresh PecorinoShare Pin It Print This Recipe
This blend of earthy beets, spicy watercress and salty Pecorino are drizzled with rich Hazelnut Oil for a unique twist on a summer green salad. Perfect as a side to share or simply delicious own its own.
- 2 pounds small beets (preferably Chioggia), 1/4 pound peeled and very thinly sliced on a mandoline
- 3/4 cup Hazelnut Oil, plus more for rubbing
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/4 cup white balsamic vinegar
- 3 bunches watercress (6 ounces each), thick stems discarded
- 6 ounces young Pecorino cheese, such as Toscano or Sardo, shaved
- Preheat the oven to 35o. In a small baking dish, rub the whole beets with hazelnut oil and season with salt and pepper. Cover the baking dish tightly with aluminum foil and roast the beets for about 1 hour and 15 minutes, until they are tender when pierced with a knife. Let cool, then peel the beets and cut them into wedges.
- In a large bowl, whisk the 3/4 cup of Hazelnut Oil with the orange juice and balsamic vinegar; season the dressing with salt and pepper. Add the roasted beet wedges, shaved beets, watercress and shaved Pecorino and toss well to coat. Transfer to a large platter and serve right away.