Chickpea and Quinoa Veggie BurgersShare Pin It Print This Recipe
The key to any good veggie burger is flavor. This mixture of chickpeas and quinoa get a healthy dose of chopped onions, scallions, cilantro and paprika before hitting the skillet. Grapeseed Oil will make sure that your burgers hold their shape and texture throughout. Add a slice of tomato, some lettuce and tahini sauce, and dinner is served.
- 1 cup dried chickpeas
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 small onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 3 scallions, ends trimmed and roughly chopped
- 2/3 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1½ tsp smoked paprika
- Crushed red pepper flakes to taste
- Grapeseed Oil for frying
- Place dried chickpeas in a bowl and cover with water by a few inches. Let sit overnight, or at least 12 hours. If time permits, 18 to 24 hours is best. Drain.
- Place the drained chickpeas, quinoa, onion, scallions, herbs, salt, paprika, and pepper flakes in the food processor. Process until blended, about 10 seconds. Scraped down the sides of processor and pulse again until combined. Transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- Use a ½-cup measuring cup to portion the mixture into 6 (plus a little guy) patties. Squeeze the mixture between your hands as you shape each patty. The mixture will feel wet. When you shape the patties, the mixture might even feel a little delicate, and you will probably worry that the patties will fall apart in the pan. But, as long as your patties can hold their shape on the plate or sheet pan, you’re in good shape. At this point, the patties can be wrapped and stored in the fridge for a day or two.
- Depending on how many patties you are cooking at one time, heat a sauté pan over medium high heat. For two patties, add 1 tablespoon Grapeseed Oil. When the oil begins to skid around the pan and feels hot to your hand hovering above, gently lower a patty into the oil. Repeat with another. Cook for three minutes adjusting the heat as necessary. Flip. Cook for three minutes more. Serve immediately with desired buns, tomato, lettuce, tahini sauce and onions.