Creamy Loaded Blueberry “Scuffins”Share Pin It Print This Recipe
What do you call a crumbly, yet tender delicious breakfast treat that’s not quite a scone, but not quite a muffin?? SCUFFINS! Melina Hammer’s delicious pastry mashup is perfect for enjoying with a cup of coffee and the weekend paper. Make your morning a whole lot tastier and whip up a batch now.
- 1 1/2 cups organic blueberries
- 8 oz La Tourangelle coconut oil, at room temperature and cut into small chunks
- 1/2 cup cane sugar – I used lilac sugar made last season and it added a delicate floral aroma, if you can find or make flower sugar, this is ideal – lilac, hyssop, or rose work nicely
- 1 tbsp wildflower honey
- 1 cup ww pastry flour
- 1 cup AP flour
- 1/2 cup fine cornmeal
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 pasture-raised eggs
- 1/2 cup kefir
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- Demerara sugar, for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees, convection setting.
- Whisk together flours, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Cream coconut oil and sugar on medium speed until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add honey and mix to combine.
- Add eggs, one at a time, mixing in between to incorporate fully.
- Alternate adding flour mixture – sift it in to avoid any lumps – and kefir, mixing in at intervals until batter is just combined, ending with kefir.
- Fold in the blueberries. Spoon equal amounts of the dough into parchment squares folded into cups, nestled into a metal muffin tin. Do not pack too firmly – each will take approximately 1/2-2/3 cup. Sprinkle sugar over each. Bake until the tops become golden and berries turn juicy, about 25 minutes. Scuffins may need rotating for even baking.
- Cool in tin for 5 minutes, then allow to cool fully on a wire rack. Excellent eaten with morning coffee.
Recipe & Image by Melina Hammer