Strawberry Ginger Pecan Skillet Streusel CakeShare Pin It Print This Recipe
This cake satisfies all the textures. It is outrageously moist and juicy – thanks to the oil, kefir, and cooked fruit. The buttery-crispy pecan streusel makes an excellent contrast, and the batter, fortified with buckwheat and orange zest, make the cake itself earthy and bright. All the elements come together and produce one of the best baked fruit treats we’ve had in a while.
for the batter
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 tbsp La Tourangelle Pecan Oil, plus more for greasing the pan
- 2 tbsp packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup organic cane sugar
- 2 pasture raised eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup buckwheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp grated orange zest – choose organic, since you’re using the skin
- 1/2 cup whole milk kefir
- 2 cups strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 2-inch segment ginger, peeled and finely grated on a microplane
- 2 tsp organic cane sugar
- 1/2 cup pecans
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp packed brown sugar
- 2 tbsp demerara sugar
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small cubesconfectioners sugar, optional, for dusting
- In a medium bowl combine strawberry slices, grated ginger, and sugar. Fold to incorporate and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Generously grease a 10-12 inch cast-iron or heavy enameled skillet with pecan oil and set aside.
- Toast pecans on a rimmed baking sheet until fragrant and slightly darkened, 8–10 minutes. Let cool, then coarsely chop.
- Make the streusel: Stir together the flours, sugars, and salt in a small bowl. Add cubed butter and toss to coat. Use your fingers to rub the butter into the dry ingredients, until the butter is incorporated and the mixture is chunky but not uniform. Add chopped pecans and fold into streusel. Chill for at least 15 minutes before using.
- In a medium bowl, use a fork to stir together flours, baking powder, baking soda, orange zest, and salt.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugars with an electric mixer until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the eggs one at a time, beating after each addition, followed by the pecan oil. Beat to incorporate.
- Mix in the kefir on low speed (the mixture may look curdled, which is fine). Gradually add the flour mixture and mix to combine. Spoon 1/2 the batter into skillet and spread to even.
- Fold strawberry mixture once more to evenly distribute sugar, ginger, and juices, then add half on top of batter. Spoon remaining batter over berries, smooth, then add remaining strawberries, including their juices.
- Spoon streusel to coat berries, thoroughly covering any nooks and crannies. Place skillet on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake about 30-35 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Dust with confectioners sugar if you like, slice into wedges, and enjoy!
Recipe courtesy Melina Hammer