Yogurt and Honey Olive Oil CakeShare Pin It Print This Recipe
Even die-hard butter devotees admit that olive oil makes exceptionally good cakes. Moist in every bite, this olive oil cake has fresh herbal notes of thyme, the fruitiness of extra virgin olive oil, and a luxurious density from yogurt and honey. It is an effortless assembly for a cake- you’ll only need one bowl and a good whisk- that delivers the perfect delight for Sunday brunch or any springtime occasion.
- 1 cup plain whole milk yogurt
- 2/3 cup La Tourangelle Extra Virgin Olive Oil, plus more for coating the pan
- 2/3 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Arrange a rack in the middle of the oven and heat to 325°F.
- Grease a 9-inch round cake pan or springform pan lightly with oil. Line the bottom with parchment paper and grease the paper if using a cake pan.
- Whisk together the yogurt, olive oil, honey, thyme, and lemon zest in a large bowl. Add the eggs, one at a time, whisking well after each addition.
- Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir with a rubber spatula until the batter is almost smooth with just a few small lumps, but do not overmix.
- Transfer the batter to the cake pan, and use a spatula to spread it out evenly. Bake until the top is lightly browned and a tester comes out clean, 40 to 45 minutes.
- Transfer the cake to a cooling rack and let it cool for 10 minutes before removing it from the pan. Run a knife around the pan to loosen. If using a springform pan, unclasp the sides. Otherwise, flip the cake onto a plate and flip it back onto the rack or serving plate. Serve warm or at room temperature.