Peanut Butter Curry Ice Cream
Looking for a unique summertime indulgence? This strikingly delicious dessert blends lush homemade peanut butter with a spicy punch of curry. While usually found in most Thai-inspired dishes, this savory combination provides an exotic and memorable flavor to sweet cream.
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 teaspoons curry powder (divided)
1/4 cup La Tourangelle Roasted Peanut Oil
- Combine heavy cream, milk and salt in a nonreactive saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Heat the cream mixture without boiling.
- In a separate bowl, whisk egg yolks and sugar. Add peanut butter, 2 teaspoons curry powder and vanilla to the mixture. Whisk to combine.
- Remove the cream mixture from the heat and slowly add 1/2 cup to the egg mixture, whisking constantly. Add another 1/2 cup of the cream mixture and whisk. Transfer the egg mixture into the cream and continue to whisk to combine.
- Return the saucepan to a medium heat, stirring constantly. Once the mixture has thickened and coats the back of a spoon, remove the saucepan from the heat.
- Strain the custard base through a fine-mesh strainer into a clean container. Set the container into an ice-water bath and stir occasionally until cooled. Once the custard base has cooled, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
Whisk 1/4 cup La Tourangelle Peanut Oil with the remaining 1 teaspoon of curry powder. Pour the oil mixture into the chilled custard base and whisk until well combined. Transfer the ice cream base to your ice cream maker and churn according to your manufacturer's instructions. Enjoy immediately or freeze in an airtight container.