Pesto Potato Pizza
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole milk at room temperature
1 ½ tablespoon La Tourangelle Pesto Oil
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¼ cup sharp white cheddar cheese
- 1 medium to large russet potato
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
2 ½ tablespoons La Tourangelle Pesto Oil
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced parsley
- 1 lime wedge (optional)
- One fresh pizza dough ball of your favorite pizza dough recipe
- Corn meal for dusting (optional)
Pesto Béchamel Sauce:
Prepare the Pesto Béchamel Sauce
- Melt the butter in a small sauce pan over low to medium heat. Add the flour to the melted butter and mix quickly until a smooth paste is formed.
- Add the milk to the flour paste and mix with a whisk over medium heat until no visible clumps remain. Continue mixing until the sauce comes to a thick consistency. Add the grated cheddar cheese to the sauce and mix until the cheese melts and incorporates with the sauce.
- Turn off the heat and whisk in the Pesto Oil to the sauce. Place a sheet of plastic wrap on top off the sauce to prevent the surface from forming a crust. Let the sauce cool to room temperature.
Prepare the Potato Topping
- Using a mandolin or a very sharp knife, slice the potato into paper thin slices and place the potato slices in a large bowl of cold water. Wash off the excess starch from the potatoes and drain them thoroughly in a strainer. Use paper towels to absorb any excess water.
- In a medium size bowl, combine the salt with the potato slices and mix thoroughly with your hands. Let the potatoes mixture sit for 10-15 minutes to salt out the water from the potatoes. Drain out the excess water from the potatoes and return them to the bowl.
- Add the sliced shallots, Pesto Oil, garlic powder and ground black pepper to the potatoes and mix thoroughly. Keep the potatoes refrigerated until ready to assemble on the pizza.
Assembling the Pizza
- Preheat the oven to 500 F and place the pizza stone in the oven if you have one.
- Dust a pizza paddle or sheet pan with corn meal or flour to prevent the dough from sticking.
- Stretch the dough into a 13” to 15” circle shape using a rolling pin or your hands. Transfer the dough to the pizza paddle or sheet pan.
- Using a spatula or large spoon, spread a thin layer of the pesto béchamel sauce on top of the dough. Make sure to leave at least a ½ inch of space on the edge of the pizza to form a crusted edge when baking.
- Sprinkle two-thirds of the mozzarella cheese on top of the sauce to evenly coat the dough. Cover the cheese and sauce with the potato slices. Sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top of the potatoes.
- Transfer the pizza onto the oven or pizza stone and bake for 10-12 minutes or until the bottom of the pizza has formed a dark brown crust. Turn the oven to the broil setting and allow the top of the potatoes and cheese to broil for 60 to 90 seconds or until golden brown.
- Remove the pizza from the oven and sprinkle the minced parsley on top of the potatoes while the pizza is still hot.
- Allow the pizza to cool for 5 minutes before serving. Squeeze a lime wedge over the pizza before digging in!