Sesame Oil is a golden-brown oil with a unique nutty flavor. Sesame Oil is used worldwide to bring unique and bold flavors to delicious dishes. Not only does the oil have a delicious flavor, but it also has several health benefits. Consuming sesame oil can improve heart health, boost your immune system, prevent chronic diseases, and even fight depression. Incorporating oil into your diet is easy! You can use it to sauté, for marinades, salad dressings…the list goes on and on.
What Is Sesame Oil?
Sesame Oil is one of the oldest seed oils to exist. Originating in Africa, then cultivated mostly in South and East Asia. The oil has become a staple cooking oil in Middle Eastern, Asian, and Mediterranean cultures.
At La Tourangelle, we make our sesame oil using the highest quality sesame seeds and our extraction methods are 100% chemical-free. Sesame seeds are lightly toasted, expeller-pressed, then gently filtered to release the oil. The golden-brown oil adds a rich, nutty, and unique flavor to any dish. With a medium-high smoke point, this oil is ideal for sautéing, frying, coating pans or woks before stir-frying, or seasoning your dressings, sauces, or salads.
Health Benefits of Sesame Oil
Sesame oil is associated with several well-known health benefits, including:
- Prevents chronic diseases: Sesame oil is full of antioxidants. Along with vitamin E and phytosterols, it contains lignans, sesamol, and sesaminol. These compounds help fight free radicals in your body, which may reduce the risk of developing chronic diseases.
- Anti-Inflammatory: Many cultures have used sesame oil in traditional medicine as an anti-inflammatory. Traditional Taiwanese medicine has used it to treat joint pain, toothaches, cuts, premenstrual cramps, and more.
- Good for your heart: Sesame oil contains omega-3, omega-6, and omega-9 fatty acids. Omega-3 and omega-6 are polyunsaturated, while omega-9 fatty acids are monounsaturated. Research shows that a diet containing these healthy fats lowers your risk of developing heart disease.
- Regulates blood sugar: One study found that adults taking sesame oil had reduced their overall blood sugar levels.
- Helps fight depression and stress: Sesame oil has an amino acid called tyrosine. Tyrosine boosts serotonin, which can help fight feelings of stress and depression.
- Better immune function: In addition to heart health, the omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, both of which are polyunsaturated fats, in sesame oil help improve immune function.
- Improved hair health: The sesamin and vitamin E in sesame oil may enhance your hair's strength and shine.
Top 3 Reasons Why You Need To Cook With Sesame Oil
Sesame oil is incredibly easy to use in the kitchen. The benefits of cooking with sesame oil include:
- Unique Flavor: Sesame oil has a unique, bold, and umami flavor that simply cannot be compared or replicated. It can enhance any dish with just a drizzle and easily adds an umami flavor.
- Great taste: Sesame oil makes delicious salad dressings, condiments, and marinades for meat and vegetables. It is bold and fresh, and you can use it in place of olive oil, avocado oil, or coconut oil.
- Vitamins and antioxidants: Sesame oil is rich in vitamin E, lignans, sesamol, and sesaminol. These vitamins are beneficial for your hair and skin.
How to Incorporate Sesame Oil Into Your Diet
You can incorporate Sesame Oil into your diet in many ways. The oil has a medium-high smoke point, so it is ideal for the following:
- Coating pans or woks before stir-frying
- Seasoning your dressings, sauces, or salads
Feel free to browse our range of delicious oils and get inspired by our original recipes today.