If you want skin and hair products that contain beneficial and ethically created ingredients, consider making your own using oils from La Tourangelle. La Tourangelle makes high-quality ingredients in California using traditional techniques that you can use in both topical and ingestible formats.
Here are some simple DIY beauty recipes to use if you are interested in trying homemade cosmetics. These natural beauty products contain ingredients you can find around your home, such as brown sugar and coconut oil. The all-natural ingredients will seal in moisture and promote well-being, as they have no harsh ingredients.
Several DIY personal care products with organic ingredients you can benefit from include:
1. Lip Balm
There are various methods for creating lip balm, and the option you choose depends on your preferences. La Tourangelle oils offer various healing benefits for dry and chapped lips, making them ideal for these natural beauty products. For example, almond oil has multiple health benefits, such as soothing your skin and being a powerful moisturizer to combat dry lips.
An effective natural lip balm you can try is:
- Melt 3 tablespoons of beeswax pellets, 2 tablespoons of shea butter and 4 tablespoons of oil together on the stove.
- Add a few drops of essential oils of your choice — how much depends on your preferences and manufacturer recommendations.
- Pour the mixture into dispensers, like pots or tubes, and cool in the freezer for 15 minutes.
Make sure you keep your lip balm in the freezer for no longer than 15 minutes, as it may crack if you keep it in there for longer. Freezing the lip balm also ensures a smooth texture.
You can use an oil of your choice for this DIY skin care recipe, whether you want the benefits of coconut, almond, olive or grapeseed oil. This lip balm is also flexible. If you want more gloss and softness, consider using less beeswax and more oil. It creates enough lip balm to fill approximately 15 10-milliliter containers.
Another homemade cosmetic product you can try is DIY deodorant. Coconut oil and olive oil are examples of naturally occurring substances with disinfectant and antibacterial properties, which are beneficial for eliminating body odor.
If you want to try making a healthy deodorant at home with organic ingredients, here is a simple recipe:
- Mix 1/4 cup of baking soda and 1/4 cup of arrowroot starch in a bowl. These absorbent ingredients can assist with sweat.
- Blend 1/3 cup of melted coconut oil into the mixture and add a few drops of essential oils of your choice for a pleasant smell.
- Pour the product into a container such as a glass jar.
Coconut oil easily turns into liquid. Use this product by warming a small amount with your hand until it liquefies, then apply it to your armpits.
3. Body Butter
Body butter is an effective skin care product that deeply moisturizes your skin. Choosing to use a DIY version with organic ingredients may promote healthier skin.
If you are interested in experiencing the advantages of using DIY body butter, consider making your own with this simple recipe:
- Melt 1/2 cup of shea butter, 1/4 cup of coconut oil and 1/4 cup of sweet almond oil together over medium heat.
- Add several drops of essential oils of your choice for some aroma.
- Mix everything together in a mixing bowl and chill overnight in the refrigerator. If you are in a rush, you can put it in the freezer for no more than two hours.
- After it is cold enough, whip the body butter with a hand beater or stand mixer, then put it into a storage jar.
Coconut oil melts at warmer temperatures, so make sure you store your body butter at room temperature or below to preserve its solidity.
4. Hair Masks
If you want to experience healthy and moisturized hair protected from outside elements, consider using natural oils. You can take advantage of the benefits of natural oils for healthy hair by applying options such as almond, avocado, olive, grapeseed and coconut oils directly to the strands. Almond oil may promote hair growth, while olive oil can help prevent flaking when mixed with lemon juice.
Avocado oil contains fatty oils and minerals ideal for locking in moisture, strengthening hair, taming frizz and retaining shine. La Tourangelle's avocado oil hair conditioner is a great option if you are interested in moisturizing your hair.
Some other quick ways you can benefit from these oils include:
- Coconut oil: Apply this oil to your roots and ends if you have dry hair or only your ends if you have naturally oily hair. Leave this mask in for 30 minutes and wash it out with alcohol-free shampoo. You will see the best results if you do this mask at least once a week.
- Olive oil: Use this oil as a weekly hair treatment on dry or damp hair. Apply 1 to 2 teaspoons to your hair and cover with a shower cap for 30 minutes, then shampoo and rinse with cold water. Skip using conditioner.
- Almond oil: This oil effectively restores moisture to your hair after shampooing. Rub a few drops of almond oil into your hands and apply them to your towel-dried hair. Comb the oil through and let it air dry for best results.
Introducing DIY skin care recipes that use natural oils to your daily routine will help your skin look and feel healthy. These oils hydrate your skin and exhibit skin-soothing properties. Coconut oil effectively hydrates skin and reduces dry patches, and avocado oil is effective for soothing and replenishing chapped skin.
Consider using this recipe to create an effective moisturizer with organic ingredients:
- Using a double boiler, melt 12 teaspoons of beeswax, 1/4 cup virgin coconut oil and 1/4 cup almond oil. If you do not have a double boiler, you can place a heatproof mixing bowl above a pot of simmering water, ensuring the water does not touch the bowl.
- Pour the mixture into a blender and allow it to cool.
- Add 10 drops of essential oils of your choice and 1 cup of aloe vera gel.
- Blend the mixture until it is creamy and store in a glass jar.
You can keep this moisturizer in your refrigerator to ensure it lasts.
Natural oils offer various benefits for your skin. For instance, grapeseed oil helps make skin softer and more elastic. Almond oil also offers several advantages, such as healing minor symptoms of sun damage, reducing the appearance of scars and aging, and offering relief for symptoms associated with skin conditions like acne, eczema and psoriasis.
You can apply grapeseed oil directly to your skin for the perfect amount of moisture without needing to combine or boil anything. You can also follow this simple recipe for organic almond lotion:
- Melt 1 ounce of grated beeswax in a double boiler over low-medium heat with 1 and 1/4 cups of almond oil and 1/4 cup of coconut oil.
- Take the product off the heat and, while it is cooling, mix 1 tablespoon of vitamin E oil, 1 tablespoon of grapeseed oil and 1/2 cup of water in another container.
- Whisk or blend all ingredients until creamy.
7. Body Scrub
When you exfoliate, take care to protect your skin. Exfoliation removes dead skin cells from the top layer of your skin and can cause damage if done incorrectly. The American Academy of Dermatology (AAD) Association recommends assessing your products to ensure they are safe for your skin. If you would like a gentle exfoliating product, consider making your own using organic natural oils.
Here is a simple body scrub recipe:
- Combine 1/2 cup of brown sugar and 1/2 cup of oil, such as coconut, jojoba, olive, almond or grapeseed oil.
- Mix the product thoroughly, adding more sugar or oil to achieve the consistency you want.
- Add one or two drops of essential oils, if you want.
- Put the body scrub into a container for use.
Choose Natural and Organic Oils from La Tourangelle
La Tourangelle offers high-quality natural oils that provide many benefits for your skin and hair. If you're looking for ingredients for simple DIY beauty recipes, browse our selection of artisan oils, which are helpful for both cooking and beauty applications. La Tourangelle has the oils you need for natural and organic cosmetics you can trust.