Blood Orange Almond Cake
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup finely ground polenta (if you have only regular polenta you can grind it in a food processor)
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 1/2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 8 Tbsp butter, room temperature (plus more for pan)
4 Tbsp Roasted Almond Oil
- 1 cup sugar (plus more for pan)
- 3 eggs
- 3 Tbsp orange juice
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 blood oranges
- Preheat oven to 320 degrees Fahrenheit and butter a 8 inch round spring form pan well making sure there is plenty on the bottom. Sprinkle some sugar.
- Wash and slice 1-2 blood oranges thinly. Remove any seeds. Put the slices in a single layer in the bottom of the pan.
- Whisk together the ground almonds, polenta, flour, cornstarch, baking powder and salt. Cream the butter, almond oil and sugar until fluffy and white. Add eggs one at a time making sure each one is incorporated before the next is added. Beat in the orange juice and vanilla. Mix in the dry ingredients until just combined and pour into the cake pan.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow blood orange almond cake to cool for 15 minutes and then turn out on a wire rack.