Cold Noodle Salad
- 1 pkg noodles, cooked according to the directions on the label (soba, bean thread, angel hair, linguine are all good choices)
- 2-3 tbsp La Tourangelle Sesame Oil
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp pickle brine
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
Kirby or Persian cucumbers
Yellow or red bell pepper
- snap peas
- green papaya or mango
- steamed broccoli
Sauted mushrooms (button, shiitake, cremini, oyster)
Poached or sautéed fish flaked into pieces, such as salmon or halibut, Poached or sautéed shredded chicken, Cubed and roasted tofu.
- Pickled shallots, onions, peppers, radishes, carrots, summer squash, ginger, cornichons, etc
3 cups, thinly sliced - a mixture, up to four:
1-2 cups - choose one:
2-3 tbsp - if you like spicy add more - choose both:
1/2 cup or more - choose two:
- Cook pasta and drain. Transfer noodles to a large bowl and drizzle with sesame oil. Use tongs to gently drag pasta through oil. There should be enough to lightly coat all strands. Once the noodles have cooled enough to touch, add fish and soy sauces, lime juice, and brine, and use your hands to gently separate any clumps.
- Chop the crunchy elements. If you chose cucumber, peel the skin if it is tough, or if the cucumber isn't organic. if you have kirbys or Persian cukes, their seeds are small and you can leave them intact. Otherwise, scrape seeds out with a spoon. Shave radish thinly on a mandoline for delicate, translucent disks. Thinly slice raw asparagus on a diagonal for a pretty effect. If you can find any snap-fresh bean, they will not need to be cooked, and can be sliced into thin coins.
- Finely chop the allium and reserve a little for table-side garnishing.
- Saving the herbs and garnish allium, combine everything else in a large bowl and gently toss to incorporate. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed. Transfer noodle salad to a serving platter. Scatter fresh herbs over all, leaving some extra in a small bowl alongside. Add the allium to top and enjoy.