- 1 1/2 cups fresh corn, cut off the cob
1/2 cup thinly sliced jalapeno pepper (omit seeds if you prefer less spicy)
- 8 oz La Tourangelle Coconut Oil at room temperature, plus extra to grease pan
- 1 tbsp buckwheat honey
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup AP flour
- 1/2 cup fine cornmeal
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 duck eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk, plus extra for brushing
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- Flake salt, for sprinkling
- Freshly cracked black pepper, for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees, convection setting. Generously grease a heavy medium enameled or cast iron skillet with coconut oil.
- Whisk together flours, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Using 2 knives, cut coconut oil into flour mixture until crumb-like.
- Add eggs, one at a time, mixing with a rubber spatula and a knife in-between to incorporate fully. Add honey and mix to combine.
- Add buttermilk and fold in with the spatula until batter is just combined.
Fold in the corn and sliced jalapenos, reserving 6 slices to top. Spoon dough into skillet, and gently swirl to nudge batter to pan edge. Do not press too firmly as you do so.
- Paint buttermilk to coat the surface, then use a butter knife to score cornbread into 6 equal wedges. Arrange jalapeГ±o slices and sprinkle with flake salt and freshly cracked pepper.
- Bake until the top becomes golden, about 40 minutes. You may need to rotate pan halfway through baking.
- Cool in pan for 10 minutes. Slice wedges with a serrated knife and serve warm.