There is nothing quite like cooking and eating outdoors, one of the reasons summertime cooking is a household favorite. With a loose idea and a few fundamentals - a good basic grill and something fresh from market to put on it - simple food becomes sublime eating.
- 4 whole brook trout, gutted and de-boned, heads and tails left intact
- 2 organic lemons, sliced thinly
- 1-2 additional lemons, cut into halves, to grill
- 2 large handfuls garlic scapes, to grill
- Flake salt
- 2/3 cup garlic chives, coarsely chopped
- 2 anchovies
- 2 cups cilantro leaves and their stems, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup La Tourangelle Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tbsp sherry vinegar
- Kosher salt & freshly cracked pepper to taste
Zippy Green Sauce:
Blend all sauce ingredients together at high speed in a blender to achieve a loose, cohesive puree. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Pat trout dry and salt and pepper each inside and out. Spoon 1-2 tbsp sauce into each fish cavity. Shingle lemon slices on top of the sauce, the length of the trout - I used 4 slices per fish. Using kitchen twine, carefully tie fish at the swell of each lemon to keep all in place as you grill.
- Prepare a chimney for the grill. Remove grill grate and loosely bunch newspaper at chimney base. Fill to the top with charcoal. Light paper in a few places, which in turn will ignite the charcoal. Allow flames to subside: coals will begin to glow, turning white and becoming ashen at their edges, 10-15 minutes.
- Transfer charcoal into a pile at the center of the grill for direct grilling. Replace grate, lightly spray with high heat cooking oil such as La Tourangelle Grapeseed Oil Spray, and place fish in the center, nestling lemon halves and scapes around. Replace lid and grill undisturbed for 3-4 minutes.
- Carefully turn fish to second side - the first side should show some char - and grill for another minute or two. Turn scapes as needed for a balance of softened and charred spots.
- Gently transfer grilled fish to a serving platter, set alongside the grilled lemons, and surround the lot with the tangle of grilled scapes.
- Spoon additional green zippy sauce onto each fish and serve at once.