Crepes au Citron & Floral Citrus Caramel Sauce
- 1 cup Pancake Mix
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup light beer, such as Pale Ale
- 2 tablespoons rum (optional)
2 tbsp La Tourangelle Herbs de Provence Oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tbsp lemon zest
- 2 tsp salt
- A pinch of sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons Herb de Provence Oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoon heavy cream
For Floral Citrus Caramel Sauce:
Crepes au Citron:
To prepare the crepe batter, beat the eggs with a whisk, add the pancake mix and slowly add the milk. Add salt, oil, juice, vanilla, sugar, lemon zest, and rum, then gently whisk in the beer. The batter will be very wet; it should have very little thickness.
- Let the batter stand for 20 minutes to an hour. If the dough seems too thick, add a little water.
- Working in 1/3 cup amounts, cook the crepes in a lightly oiled frying pan. Flipping once the edges of the batter start to turn brown, cook the crepes for 1-2 minutes each side. Remove from skillet, and let cool.
- Fold each crepe into quarters and stack 2-4 on each plate (depending on how hungry you are!). Top with candied lemons and a nice pour of caramel sauce.
Floral Citrus Caramel Sauce:
- Heat sugar and 1/4 cup water in a medium heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until sugar has dissolved and syrup is clear. Continue to cook, without stirring, until syrup comes to a boil, occasionally washing down sides of pan with a wet pastry brush to prevent crystals from forming. Let syrup boil, gently swirling pan occasionally, until dark amber.
Remove from heat; whisk in lemon juice, oil, butter, and cream (caramel may steam and spatter.) Serve warm.