This fresh dish highlights a spring favorite - juicy asparagus - while making new use of your trusty spice drawer. Salty, creamy feta sauce makes for a special savory hit, and the herbaceous, crispy spices showered over everything bring unexpected flavors together in a delectable way.
- 2 pasture raised eggs
- 1 bunch asparagus, rinsed, woody ends snapped off
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 tablespoon La Tourangelle Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil for frying fennel
- 1-2 teaspoon pink peppercorns
- Flake salt, optional, to season the eggs
- 8 oz French feta
- 3 tablespoon plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoon La Tourangelle Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
For the eggs:
For the Sauce:
- In a blender, combine all sauce ingredients until smooth and creamy. Refrigerate for at least 1/2 hour prior to using.
- In a small saucepan, bring an inch of water to a boil. Carefully lower the eggs in and cover. Cook for five minutes, then remove eggs using a slotted spoon and allow to cool to room temperature. Peel when cool enough to handle.
- In the same pan, place a steamer basket and return water level to one inch. Place asparagus in basket, cover, and steam until bright green and fork tender, about 5 minutes. Shock spears in an ice bath until cool to the touch, then drain. Set aside.
- In a small skillet, heat oil over medium heat to fry the fennel seeds. When it begins to shimmer, add the seeds. Stir around pan a few times to coat fully as they sizzle. When seeds become fragrant, about 3 minutes, they are ready. Transfer fennel seeds and oil to a small heat proof dish.
- Swirl spoonfuls of feta sauce as a base layer onto plates. Pile the asparagus then nestle in the eggs, cut in half, alongside. Spoon fennel seeds and oil onto all, followed by a confetti shower of pink peppercorns. Enjoy!