Spatchcock Brick-grilled Chicken with Scapes and Garden Herb Sauce
- 1 pasture raised chicken (3-4lbs), backbone removed and butterflied
- 15-20 garlic scapes
- 2 lemons, cut into halves
- 3-4 tbsp La Tourangelle Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil for drizzling
- Kosher salt & freshly cracked pepper
- 3 stems fresh basil, leaves torn if large, to garnish
- 1/4 packed cup parsley leaves, chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh tarragon, chopped
- 7-10 stems fresh lemon thyme, leaves stripped from stems
- 2 tbsp salt-packed capers, rinsed and coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup La Tourangelle Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar
- Freshly cracked pepper, to taste
- 1 brick, wrapped in aluminum foil
- Charcoal grill for 2 zone cooking
- 1-2 tbsp La Tourangelle Organic Sunflower Oil for brushing onto grill
For the Chicken:
For the sauce:
- Pat bird dry and lay skin side-up on a rimmed baking sheet. Use two long metal skewers to thread through chicken at top & bottom ends: thigh-drumstick-breasts-drumstick-thigh at one end, and wing-breasts-wing at the other. This will keep the meat an organized parcel for when it is time to turn it over.
- Drizzle chicken with a generous amount of olive oil and rub to coat on both sides. Season with a generous amount of kosher salt and freshly cracked pepper on both sides, set aside.
- On a second sheet pan, pile scapes and lemon halves and drizzle with olive oil, toss to coat, and season all with kosher salt.
- Combine all elements for herb sauce in a small bowl, taste, and adjust seasoning as needed. Set aside.
- Light a charcoal chimney and burn until topmost coals are glowing red. Carefully transfer coals into a pile on one side of the grill.
- Replace grate and lay chicken skin side-down over hot coals, weighted down by the brick.
- Add the scapes and lemon halves, cut sides-down. Turn and rotate lemons and scapes until grilled or charred to your liking - about 3-5 minutes above hot coals is a good gauge for both. Transfer scapes and lemons to their baking sheet when done and set aside.
- Grill chicken with the lid off for a further 5-7 minutes without disturbing. Use heavy duty grill gloves or potholders to rotate the grate slightly if flames constantly lick the meat. If you prefer a charred & crispy skin, let it remain in place like so, and drizzle remaining pan juices & oil onto meat as it cooks, producing a great sizzle.
Turn chicken over, moving it to the passive side. Cook, covered, for an additional 15-20 minutes, or until an instant read thermometer inserted at the thickest part of the meat reads 165F°. Depending on your grill, you may want to start another half-full chimney, lighting it as you did before, and add the new batch of coals to maintain an internal grill temperature of 375-400В°.
- Carefully transfer grilled chicken to sheet pan skin side-up, nestled amidst the scapes and lemons. Serve with the fresh herb sauce and scatter with basil leaves, squeeze lemons over all, and enjoy.