Widely regarded as a superfood, avocados provide lots of healthy fat, fiber and vitamins. Avocados make great additions to salsas and salads and can be enjoyed in a range of smoothies and dishes.
Unlike most fruits, avocados are rich in healthy fats and often used to produce oil. Avocado oil is revered for its numerous health benefits, largely related to its content of healthy fats and antioxidants.
What Is Avocado Oil?
Avocado oil comes from the fruit of the avocado tree. This fruit is native to the Western Hemisphere, from Mexico to the Andean regions.
Avocado oil is one of the few comestible oils not derived from a seed. Oil from an avocado is produced by pressing the pulp surrounding the pit — an area of the fruit that produces an oil full of healthy fats, including essential fatty acids and oleic acid.
Health Benefits of Avocado Oil
Avocado oil is associated with several well-known health benefits, including:
- Heart-healthy oleic acid: The majority of avocado oil is made up of oleic acid, a monounsaturated omega-9 fatty acid that has benefits for heart health.
- Low cholesterol: In one study comparing avocado oil to olive, corn and coconut oil, avocado oil and olive oil were found to be the most effective in increasing HDL, the "good" cholesterol.
- Reduced symptoms of osteoarthritis: Several studies have discovered that extracts from avocado and soybean oil, called soybean and avocado unsaponifiables, may reduce the stiffness and pain associated with osteoarthritis.
- Possible gum disease prevention: According to a study in periodontal tissue and bone cells, avocado unsaponifiables may block a protein called IL1B and help prevent periodontal disease or gum disease.
- Antioxidants that can increase eye health: Avocado oil contains lutein, a carotenoid naturally found in your eyes. Lutein functions as an antioxidant and has many benefits for eye health.
- The ability to prevent and fight cancer: In addition to heart health, one of oleic acid's many benefits is lowering the risk of certain cancers. Omega-3 fatty acids, also found in avocado oil, can help slow the growth of cancer cells, specifically those causing colon and breast cancer.
- Better nutrient absorption: Some nutrients need fat in order to be absorbed by the body. According to a study published by Ohio State University, adding avocado oil to a salad with romaine lettuce, carrots and spinach increased the body's absorption of carotenoids.
Benefits of Avocado Oil for the Hair and Skin
Besides stimulating weight loss and promoting fuller, faster-growing hair, avocado oil is known for numerous benefits you can see with your own eyes.
Avocado oil has also been known to treat flaky, dry skin. Its ability to be absorbed through the epidermis and into the dermal layer of skin — which most oils and moisturizers are unable to do — makes avocado oil incredibly penetrative.
Used over time, avocado oil can reduce the appearance of age spots and minor sun damage as well.
Top 3 Reasons Why You Need To Cook With Avocado Oil
Avocado oil is incredibly easy to use in the kitchen. The benefits of cooking with avocado oil include:
- Versatility: Avocado oil is ideal for cooking in almost any style. With an incredibly high smoke point, this oil is an excellent choice for grilling, frying, searing, sautéing and roasting.
- Great taste: Avocado oil makes delicious salad dressings, condiments and marinade for meat and vegetables. It is light and fresh, and you can use it in place of coconut oil, olive oil or sesame oil.
- Vitamins and antioxidants: Avocado oil is rich in vitamins B1, B2, A, D and E. These vitamins are beneficial for your hair and skin.
Shop Healthy Avocado Oils From La Tourangelle
Avocado oil has numerous benefits, both inside and outside the kitchen. At La Tourangelle, we make our avocado oil using the highest quality avocados.
Feel free to browse our range of delicious oils and get inspired by our original recipes today.