Avocado Oil Cake
Samantha Seneviratne for Food 52
1 cup La Tourangelle Avocado Oil
- 2 cups/255 grams all-purpose flour, plus more for the pan
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon zest plus 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cups whole milk, at room temperature
Confectioners sugar for dusting
Heat the oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 9 x 2-inch round cake using extra-virgin avocado oil and line the bottom with parchment paper. Oil the parchment and flour the pan, shaking out any excess flour.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer set on high, whisk the sugar, eggs and lemon zest until very thick and fluffy, about 5 minutes. With the mixer still running, slowly drizzle in the oil and beat until incorporated, another 2 minutes. Reduce speed to low, and add milk and lemon juice. Gradually add the flour mixture and beat until just combined. Transfer the batter to the prepared pan, smooth the top using an offset spatula.
Bake the cake until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean, 40 to 45 minutes. Transfer to a rack to cool for 20 minutes, then run a knife around the edge to release the sides of the cake from the pan. Invert the cake onto a plate and then flip it back over onto the rack to cool completely. Dust with confectioners sugar to serve.