Avocado Oil Pommes Anna
Samantha Seneviratne for Food 52
- 1 1/4 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/8th inch thick
3 tablespoons La Tourangelle Avocado Oil
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh herbs, such as thyme, sage, and, rosemary
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
Drizzle the bottom of a 10 inch, non-stick skillet with about 1 tablespoon oil. Layer the potatoes, starting in the center of the pan, in concentric circles until the bottom is covered completely. Sprinkle with some of the herbs and drizzle with some of the oil and cream. Season with salt and pepper. Repeat this step until you've used all the potatoes, oil, cream, and herbs.
- Transfer the skillet to the stove and heat over medium-high. Once the oil starts to sizzle, cook for about 10 minutes, pressing the layers down with a spatula, until the bottom is golden brown and crisp. You may have to play with the heat a little to get even cooking and to make sure nothing burns. Use an offset spatula to peak at the bottom occasionally to make sure everything is browning evenly.
- Cover the pan, reduce the heat to medium, and let the top layers cook through and seal together, about 5 minutes.
- Remove the lid. Flip the whole thing so that the top has a chance to brown. If youвЂ™re at all nervous, flip the disc out on a cutting board and then slip it back into the pan top- side down. Be mindful of the hot oil. Cook until the other side is golden, another 4 to 5 minutes. Slip onto a plate to serve hot.