Garlicky Paprika Shrimp and Avocado Salsa Tacos
- 12 medium wild shrimp, rinsed, peeled, deveined, and patted dry
- 2 cloves garlic, finely grated on a microplane
2 Tbsp Avocado Oil, plus more for sauteing
- 1/4 tsp sweet paprika
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- Pinch kosher salt
- 2 avocados, cut into small dice
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Juice from 2 limes, plus 1 lime cut into wedges for garnish
1 Tbsp La Tourangelle Avocado Oil
- 1/8 tsp ancho chili or chipotle powder
- 1/8 tsp cumin, toasted and ground in a mortar and pestle
- Flake salt to taste
2 jalapeños, thinly sliced on a mandoline
- White vinegar to submerge, about 3 Tbsp
- 1 ear fresh sweet corn, kernels cut from cob
- 3 radishes, sliced thinly on a mandoline
- 4 flour or corn tortillas
For the Shrimp:
For the avocado salsa:
For the quick pickled jalapeños:
For the pickled jalapeños:
In a small jar, press sliced jalapeños down to submerge in the white vinegar.
- Let sit for 20 minutes before using.
For the tacos:
- Toss shrimp with 2 Tbsp Avocado Oil, garlic, and kosher salt, and set aside.
- Combine all avocado salsa ingredients together in a medium bowl, folding the ingredients thoroughly to coat the avocado to help it from oxidizing.
In a large cast-iron or enameled skillet over medium-high heat, drizzle Avocado Oil and swirl in pan to coat. Avoid crowding in the pan and sauté shrimp in two batches: 2 minutes on first side, until shrimp turn opaque pink and slightly caramelized. Turn to side two and saute for 1 minute, until near opaque. Transfer the batch to a bowl and repeat with second batch.
- When second batch of shrimp is near done return the first, along with any accumulated juices, to pan. Add paprika, turn pan off and stir to coat. Transfer all shrimp and garlicky-spice juices back to the bowl and set aside.
- On a stove burner, char tortillas one at a time over medium heat, flipping every 5-10 seconds, until charred to your liking. Transfer finished tortillas to a damp tea towel, folded to enclose tortillas to keep warm.
Onto tortillas, layer corn and radish slices, followed by garlicky paprika shrimp and their juices, followed by spoonfuls of avocado salsa and pickled jalapeños. Extra great if eaten al fresco!