Hot Cross Buns
- 4 cups flour
- 2 packets dry yeast
1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp cloves
- Pinch of salt
1/4 cup La Tourangelle AvoCoco Oil
1/2 cup applesauce
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 cup currants
5 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 3-4 Tbsp water
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
For the buns:
For the crosses:
For the glaze:
Combine the flour, yeast, sugar, spices, and salt in a bowl and mix until combined.
- In a measuring jug, whisk together the AvoCoco, applesauce and almond milk then pour into the dry ingredients.
Mix until a sticky, soft dough forms. Turn it out onto a floured surface and knead for 5 minutes.
- Place the dough into a bowl and cover with clingfilm and allow to rise for 1 hour.
When the dough has risen, remove from the bowl and knead in the currants. Return to the bowl, cover, and allow to rise for another 30 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Form dough balls roughly the size of golf balls out of the risen dough and place on the prepared baking tray.
Mix the flour and water and pipe crosses onto the buns.
- Allow to rise for another 30 minutes then place in the pre-heated oven.
- Allow to bake for 25-30 minutes until the hot cross buns are golden brown and cooked through.
- While the buns are baking, combine the ingredients for the glaze in a small saucepan and allow to come to a boil.
- When the buns have baked, remove them from the oven and immediately brush the glaze over the top.
Allow it to cool slightly before serving.