Hot Cross Buns
- 4 cups flour
- 2 packets dry yeast
1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp cloves
- Pinch of salt
1/4 cup La Tourangelle AvoCoco Oil
1/2 cup applesauce
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 cup currants
- 5 Tbsp all purpose flour
- 3-4 Tbsp water
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
For the buns:
For the crosses:
For the glaze:
- Combine the flour, yeast, sugar, spices and salt in a bowl and mix until combined.
- In a measuring jug, whisk together the AvoCoco, applesauce and almond milk then pour into the dry ingredients.
- Mix until a sticky, soft dough forms. Turn out onto a floured surface and knead for 5 minutes.
- Place the dough into a bowl and cover with clingfilm and allow to rise for 1 hour.
- When the dough has risen, remove from the bowl and knead in the currants. Return to the bowl, cover and allow to rise for another 30 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Form dough balls roughly the size of golf balls out of the risen dough and place on the prepared baking tray.
- Mix together the flour and water and pipe crosses onto the buns.
- Allow to rise for another 30 minutes then place in the pre-heated oven.
- Allow to bake for 25-30 minutes until the hot cross buns are golden brown and cooked through.
- While the buns are baking, combine the ingredients for the glaze in a small saucepan and allow to come to a boil.
- When the buns have baked, remove them from the oven and immediately brush the glaze over the top.
- Allow to cool slightly before serving.