Sun Coco Fried Turkey
- 1 16 Lb. Turkey, Room Temperature
- 6.5 Gallons La Tourangelle Organic Sun Coco Oil
- 1 Extra Large Stock Pot
- 1 Thermometer
- 1 Fire Extinguisher (For Safety!)
- Wash and pat turkey dry and let come to room temperature
Place in a large stockpot and cover turkey with La Tourangelle Sun Coco Oil.
- Bring oil up to 207°F, slowly (should take about 1 hour and 30 minutes) and let lightly simmer for 20 minutes.
- Bring up to 250 and turn off. Let rest in oil for 10 minutes and take out carefully.
Let turkey rest for at least 30 minutes before carving.
- Salt turkey and serve.
- In direction number 1, the main reason frying a turkey can be dangerous is water (or possibly a frozen mass) so making sure you pat the outside and soak up any liquid in the body cavity is important.
- In direction number 2, you want to make sure you have at least 8 inches, if not 1 foot of space from where the oil ends to the lip of the pot. Once the oil gets hot and starts to boil it can cause a fire if it boils over.
- In direction number 3, by slowly bringing up the heat of the oil, you basically confit, which is a delicate process and makes the turkey moist.
- In direction number 4, by bringing the oil up to 350°F, this will darken the skin and get it nice and crisp.
- In direction number 5, all meat should always rest! This keep the moisture in the flesh and will give you a better end result.
- Heavily salting the bird is necessary. Normally I would wet brine poultry before cooking but because it is fried, the moisture could cause a safety issue.