Ultimate Mac & Cheese with Garlic Herb Cracker Crust
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 pound elbow macaroni
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup half and half
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup unsalted butter (1 stick), melted
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 4 cups shredded Cheddar (about 16 oz)
- 2 cups shredded Gruyere (about 8 oz)
- 2 tablespoons La Tourangelle Roasted Garlic Oil
- 1 ½ sleeves Ritz crackers, crushed
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Cook the macaroni in salted water according to the instructions on the package, using the low end of the recommended cook time to ensure that the pasta is al dente.
- Melt the butter in a small sauce pan and set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk together the milk, half and half, eggs, Dijon, and slightly cooled melted butter (cooling the butter a bit helps to make sure you don’t make scrambled eggs for your mac & cheese!). Season the mixture with salt and pepper and stir in the shredded cheeses.
- Combine the cooked macaroni and the cheese sauce and pour into a large casserole dish or skillet. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix together the crushed crackers, garlic oil and chopped fresh herbs. Sprinkle over the top of the macaroni and then bake in the oven for 25 – 30 minutes, until the cracker crust is golden brown and the cheese sauce is bubbly.