Basil, Parmesan and Prosciutto Breakfast StrataShare Pin It Print This Recipe
Italian breakfast strata is a simple and savory breakfast dish that’s perfect for enjoying with family and friends around the tree. Whip up our Basil, Parmesan and Prosciutto rendition the night before your big gathering, let it soak up eggy goodness in the fridge, and in the morning enjoy all the make-ahead magic.
- 1 large loaf of ciabatta bread (or 2 baguettes), cut into large cubes and divided into thirds
- 6 ounces prosciutto, torn into thin pieces
- 5 ounces parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 teaspoons dried basil (or 1 tablespoon fresh basil, finely chopped)
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons basil oil
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Lightly grease the bottom of a large casserole dish. Put down a layer of the bread cubes, and top with half of the prosciutto and half of the parmesan. Arrange another layer of the bread on top, along with the remaining prosciutto and parmesan. Top mixture with remaining bread cubes and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, basil, heavy cream, milk, mustard, and black pepper.
- Pour the egg mixture over the top of the bread in the casserole dish. Press down on the strata mixture with your hands or a spatula and then drizzle the basil oil and butter over the top.
- Refrigerate strata overnight or until the bread has completely soaked up all of the egg mixture.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. While the oven is preheating, remove the strata from the refrigerator and allow it to come up to room temp for about 20 minutes.
- Bake the strata for 55 – 60 minutes, or until the center is set and the top is golden brown. Cut into 8 large pieces to serve.