The traditions associated with the Chinese Lunar New Year are full of auspicious meanings. Following a set of customs passed down over generations, many families welcome health, wealth and good relationships for the coming year. Among many symbolic dishes, potstickers are served by the plateful and eaten with family. Whether steamed, fried or with any number of fillings, they symbolize prosperity and riches, as the dumplings themselves resemble gold ingots.
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped scallions, plus more, sliced thinly, to garnish
- 2-inch knob of ginger, finely grated
- 3 cloves garlic, finely grated
- 1 lb. pork, minced
1 Tbsp La Tourangelle Toasted Sesame Oil
- 1 Tbsp Shaoxing cooking wine (dry sherry is a fine substitute)
- 1 package 4-inch round dumpling wrappers
- Micro greens or fresh herbs, such as basil and cilantro, to garnish
2 Tbsp La Tourangelle Toasted Sesame Oil
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock, chicken stock or water
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp gochujang
For the filling:
For dipping sauce:
- Combine all filling ingredients, save for the wrappers and garnish, and stir together in a medium bowl. Using a teaspoon, place 2 teaspoons of filling in the center of each wrapper.
- With a small bowl of water nearby, dip your finger and trace the wrapper edge to moisten. Take it into your hands and press one half to the other, sealing dumpling seams together.
- Lightly moisten pointer finger and thumbs (too wet, and you'll end up with a gummy parcel - a drop or two should suffice). Pleat and press dumpling edge towards center. You can turn the dumpling around once crimped along a side to use the same hand action, or use your other hand for the second side to repeat pleating towards center.
- So that they stand upright, hold dumpling by the pleats and pat the base to flatten, producing a purse-like parcel. Arrange completed dumplings on a baking sheet while you assemble the remainder.
- Heat 1 Tbsp Toasted Sesame Oil in a large cast-iron or other heavy-bottom skillet over medium heat. Pan fry potstickers, set on their bases and in a wheel formation (keeping them from touching) for 3 minutes or until deeply golden. Rotate the dumplings for even browning.
- Like dominoes, lean them over onto their sides and add second Tbsp Toasted Sesame Oil in the center of the pan. Brown potstickers for 2-3 minutes or until golden.
- Add 1/3-1/2 cup stock or water, turn potstickers to last side, cover and cook until liquid is nearly absorbed and wrappers are completely transparent at their edges, about 5-7 minutes.
- At this stage, mix the dipping sauce. Whisk ingredients together in a small bowl until uniform, taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Transfer potstickers to a serving platter. Top with torn basil and cilantro, or a scatter of micro greens if you have them. Sprinkle scallions over all, dunk into dipping sauce, and eat immediately.