Mother's Day Waffles with Basil Oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup stone ground cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 cup La Tourangelle Basil Oil
- 1 shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup ear corn kernels removed from the cob (about 1/2 )
- 8 slices thick cut cooked crispy bacon
- 2-3 tomatoes sliced
- 1 cup fresh arugula
- 1 avocado sliced
Salt and pepper
Maple syrup and butter for serving
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, eggs and honey. Add the flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt and stir until just combined. Stir in the cheddar cheese, Basil Oil and corn. Allow the batter to sit 5-10 minutes.
- Preheat your waffle iron.
- Cook the waffles according to your waffle iron's directions.
- To assemble, spread each warm waffle with butter and then layer on the tomatoes (seasoning them with salt and pepper), bacon and arugula. Add another waffle. Top with tomatoes, arugula and sliced avocado and finish off with a small drizzle of maple syrup.