Olive Oil Apple-Spiced Cake
If you decide that olive oil sounds good, not only for savory dishes, but for sweet ones as well, you will love this mom's favorite cake. Using good-quality olive oil makes a difference in this cake, which is dense and moist and just the right amount of sweet.
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1½ tsp. each baking powder and baking soda
- 1 tsp. each ground cinnamon and salt
- 1 cup La Tourangelle Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ¾ cup milk
- ¼ cup each orange liqueur and freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 extra-large eggs
1 unpeeled baking apple (such as McIntosh, Jonathan or Rome), cored and grated
- Powdered sugar for garnish
Preheat oven to 350°. Sift together flour and the next 5 ingredients; set aside.
Whisk together olive oil and the next 4 ingredients. Stir in grated apple and reserved flour mixture until blended. Pour mixture into a well-greased 9-in. round cake pan. Bake for 40 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack for 20 minutes; remove from pan, and cool completely on wire rack. Top with powdered sugar.