Roasted Walnut Oil Carrot Cake
- 2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1/4 cups Walnut Oil
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups carrots, grated
- 1 1/4 cups walnuts, coarsely chopped
10 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 5 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 12 walnut halves (for garnish)
For the cake
For the frosting
For the cake
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter two 9-inch cake pans. Line bottom of pans with waxed paper or parchment. Butter and flour paper. Remove any excess flour.
- Whisk flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in medium bowl or a stand mixer.
In a separate bowl, beat sugar and Walnut Oil until well blended. Add eggs one at a time.
Add flour mixture and stir until blended. Stir in carrots, walnuts and ginger. Divide mixture between prepared pans.
- Bake cakes until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 40 minutes. Cool cakes in pans 10-15 minutes.
Turn out onto racks. Peel off waxed paper and cool cakes completely.
For the icing
Beat cream cheese and butter in large bowl until airy.
- Add powdered sugar and beat at low speed until combined. Add maple syrup and beat.
- Chill until just firm enough to spread, 30 minutes.
- Place one cake layer on platter. Spread with 3/4 cup icing.
- Top with second layer. Spread remaining icing over entire cake.
- Arrange walnut halves around top edge. Serve at room temperature.
This cake will keep 1 day in the refrigerator.