Smoked Trout Quinoa Bowls
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 8 oz. package smoked trout, or 2 cans lightly smoked sardines in olive oil
- 2-3 tbsp La Tourangelle Herbs de Provence infused oil
- 1 cup castelvetrano olives, pitted
- 3-5 cornichons, sliced into coins
1/2-1 jalapeno (depending on your penchant for heat), seeds removed and thinly sliced on a mandoline
- 2-4 colorful radishes (depending on their size), thinly sliced on a mandoline
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked pepper
- 1/2 medium red onion, sliced thinly
- Enough white vinegar to submerge
- Small jar to pack them into
For quick pickled red onions:
- Rinse quinoa in a fine meshed sieve under cold running water. Thwack the wet mass into a medium saucepan and add just shy of 2 cups water. Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes or until water is fully absorbed and quinoa is fluffy. Remove from heat, keeping lid on to steam for a further 5 minutes.
- While quinoa cooks, make the pickled red onions. Pack slices into a medium jar, then pour vinegar just to submerge. Onions should marinate for a minimum 15 minutes. This step can be done 3 days in advance.
- Drizzle La Tourangelle Herbs de Provence oil onto quinoa, season generously with salt and pepper, and fluff with a fork. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed. Flake smoked trout or sardines into bite-size pieces.
Serve quinoa base layer onto plates. Top with cornichons and olives, followed by the smoked trout. Dot with radishes and jalapeno, and finish with pickled red onions (and drizzle some of the brine if you like). Finish with cracked black pepper and enjoy warm or at room temperature.