Strawberry Basil Ice CreamShare Pin It Print This Recipe
Strawberries and basil are the perfect summertime combination. Elevate your ordinary ice cream with our Basil Infused Oil in this delightful recipe. Ripe, juicy strawberries blend with an herbaceous kick of basil and sweet cream. Serve with waffle cones and sliced berries.
(For the strawberries)
- Combine the strawberries with 2 1/2 Tablespoons sugar in a large skillet. Place the skillet over medium heat and cook, stirring frequently, until the berries are soft and the liquid has reduced slightly, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Let cool slightly, then transfer the berries and their juice into a blender or food processor. Puree until smooth, strain through a fine-mesh strainer into a container and refrigerate until ready to use.
(For the custard base)
- In a medium bowl, whisk the egg yolks with half the sugar (6 Tablespoons). Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, stir together heavy cream, milk, salt and remaining sugar (6 Tablespoons) over a medium-high heat. When the mixture begins to bubble around the edges, reduce the heat to medium.
- Carefully pour about 1/2 cup of the hot cream mixture into the egg yolks, whisking constantly to temper the eggs. Continue to whisk the egg yolks, adding one more 1/2 cup of the cream. Then stir the remaining cream mixture while slowly pouring the egg-and-cream mixture from the bowl into the pan.
- Cook the mixture carefully over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the custard has thickened, coats the back of a wooden spoon or spatula, and holds a clear path when you run your finger across the back.
- Strain the custard base through a fine-mesh strainer into a clean container. Set the container into an ice-water bath, and stir with a clean spoon until the base has cooled.
- Remove the container from the ice-water bath, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate the base for at least 2 hours or overnight.
(Churn the ice cream)
- Whisk the Basil Infused Oil and strawberry puree into the chilled base until well blended.
- Freeze your ice cream machine bowl according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Pour the custard base into the bowl and churn. Continue to churn the ice cream until it has reached the consistency of soft-serve ice cream.
- Place the container that you’ll use to store the ice cream into the freezer. Enjoy your ice cream right away, or for a firmer ice cream, transfer to the chilled container and freeze for at least 4 hours.