Pumpkin Squash, Cranberry, and Kale Hand Pies
Makes 4 hand pies
These vegetarian pockets of savory goodness are hearty, flavorful, and flaky. Perfect for an easy work day lunch, or pack them up and hit the road!This hand pie features our flavorful Toasted Pumpkin Seed Oil and the filling recipe makes enough for four hand pies. We have two more exciting vegetarian filling recipes using our Infused Truffle Oil and Roasted Pistachio Oil for the most spectacular trio of hand pies. Those recipes are Truffle, Leak and Potato Hand Pies and Pistachio, Pear, and Goat Cheese Hand Pies. Or, if you want to just make a dozen of these Pumpkin Squash, Cranberry, and Kale Hand Pies (who could blame you?) triple the filling quantities to make 12.
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups chilled unsalted butter, cubed
- 6 Tbsp ice water
- *One egg (whisked) or almond milk used as egg wash before baking
- 1 cup cubed kabocha or butternut squash
- 1 Tbsp La Tourangelle Toasted Pumpkin Seed Oil, plus more for drizzle
- 1/2 small yellow onion chopped
- 1 cloved garlic, minced
- 1 cup Tuscan kale, stems removed and chopped
- 1 Tbsp pepitas
- 2 Tbsp dried cranberries
- Salt and pepper
For the crust (makes 12 hand pies)
For the filling (makes 4 hand pies)
For the crust
- In a food processor, pulse together flour, sugar, and salt. Add cubed butter and pulse until slightly crumbly. Add ice water one tablespoon at a time and pulse in-between until dough starts to form. Separate dough into three equal parts, and form into round disks. Cover each disk and refrigerate for an hour.
For the filling
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees.
- Coat squash with 1 Tbsp La Tourangelle Toasted Pumpkin Seed Oil, and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until tender and golden, turning your squash halfway through.
- While the squash is in the oven, sauté onion until caramelized. Add the minced garlic and kale and combine. Cook for one to two minutes more, being careful not to let your garlic burn. Remove from heat to a medium bowl. Add roasted squash, cranberries and pepitas. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Taking one of the chilled disks of dough from the fridge, cut the round into fourths. On a lightly floured surface, roll each of the quarters of dough into approximately 1/8" thick rounds. Divide filling between each round. Top with a drizzle of La Tourangelle Toasted Pumpkin Seed Oil (about a 1/2 tsp. each).
- Fold one half of each round to conceal filling, creating a half moon. Pinch the open ends of the dough together and place on a lined baking sheet. Brush your pies with egg wash or almond milk. Slice three small vents on top of each pie. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until crusts are golden brown.