Truffle, Leek, and Potato Hand Pies
Makes 4 hand pies
These vegetarian pockets of savory goodness are hearty, flavorful, and flaky. Perfect for an easy work day lunch, or pack them up and hit the road!This hand pie features our flavorful White Truffle Infused Oil and the filling recipe makes enough for four hand pies. We have two more exciting vegetarian filling recipes using our Pumpkin Seed Oil and Roasted Pistachio Oil for the most spectacular trio of hand pies. Those recipes are Pumpkin Squash, Cranberry and Kale Hand Pies and Pistachio, Pear, and Goat Cheese Hand Pies. Or, if you want to just make a dozen of these Truffle, Leek, and Potato Hand Pies (who could blame you?) triple the filling quantities to make 12.
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups chilled unsalted butter, cubed
- 6 Tbsp ice water
- *One egg (whisked) or almond milk used as egg wash before baking
- 3/4 lbs. or about 7-8 baby golden potatoes, sliced
- 1 leek, chopped (white and light green portion only)
- 6 large baby Bella mushrooms sliced
- 1/4 cup grated Fontina cheese
- 1-2 Tbsp La Tourangelle Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt and pepper
- La Tourangelle White Truffle Infused Oil for drizzle
For the crust (makes 12 hand pies)
For the filling (makes 4 hand pies)
For the crust
- In a food processor, pulse together flour, sugar, and salt. Add cubed butter and pulse until slightly crumbly. Add ice water one tablespoon at a time and pulse in-between until dough starts to form. Separate dough into three equal parts, and form into round disks. Cover each disk and refrigerate for an hour.
For the filling
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees.
- Toss sliced baby potatoes in olive oil to lightly coat and season with salt and pepper. Bake until just golden—about 25 minutes.
- While the potatoes are in the oven, heat 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil in a medium pan and add your chopped leeks and mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper and sauté until leeks and mushrooms are nice caramelized. Transfer to a medium bowl. Add roasted potatoes and Fontina cheese to your leek and mushroom mixture and combine.
- Taking one of the chilled disks of dough from the fridge, cut the round into fourths. On a lightly floured surface, roll each of the quarters of dough into approximately 1/8" thick rounds. Divide filling between each round. Top with a drizzle of La Tourangelle White Truffle Infused Oil (about a 1/2 tsp. each).
- Fold one half of each round to conceal filling, creating a half moon. Pinch the open ends of the dough together and place on a lined baking sheet. Brush your pies with egg wash or almond milk. Slice three small vents on top of each pie. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until crusts are golden brown.