Truffle, Leek, and Potato Hand Pies
Makes 4 hand pies
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups chilled unsalted butter, cubed
- 6 Tbsp ice water
- *One egg (whisked) or almond milk used as egg wash before baking
- 3/4 lbs. or about 7-8 baby golden potatoes, sliced
- 1 leek, chopped (white and light green portion only)
- 6 large baby Bella mushrooms sliced
- 1/4 cup grated Fontina cheese
- 1-2 Tbsp La Tourangelle Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt and pepper
- La Tourangelle White Truffle Infused Oil for drizzle
For the crust (makes 12 hand pies)
For the filling (makes 4 hand pies)
For the crust
- In a food processor, pulse together flour, sugar, and salt. Add cubed butter and pulse until slightly crumbly. Add ice water one tablespoon at a time and pulse in-between until dough starts to form. Separate dough into three equal parts, and form into round disks. Cover each disk and refrigerate for an hour.
For the filling
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees.
- Toss sliced baby potatoes in olive oil to lightly coat and season with salt and pepper. Bake until just golden—about 25 minutes.
- While the potatoes are in the oven, heat 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil in a medium pan and add your chopped leeks and mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper and sauté until leeks and mushrooms are nice caramelized. Transfer to a medium bowl. Add roasted potatoes and Fontina cheese to your leek and mushroom mixture and combine.
- Taking one of the chilled disks of dough from the fridge, cut the round into fourths. On a lightly floured surface, roll each of the quarters of dough into approximately 1/8" thick rounds. Divide filling between each round. Top with a drizzle of La Tourangelle White Truffle Infused Oil (about a 1/2 tsp. each).
- Fold one half of each round to conceal filling, creating a half moon. Pinch the open ends of the dough together and place on a lined baking sheet. Brush your pies with egg wash or almond milk. Slice three small vents on top of each pie. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until crusts are golden brown.